Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pork

It's supposed to get more normal around here temperature wise, that's a little something. The bad news is that just about the time the mud from the melted snow dries out, we're supposed to have some rain. I have not been able to bring CAP into the house when she didn't have mud all over her for two months now.

I roasted a pork loin today, trying this recipe from the 'net. All recipes.com if it matters. Balsamic roasted pork loin. I had this five+ pound pork loin and so had do do some jiggering with the recipe, considering that it called for a two pound loin. I reckon they used piglets. Anyhow, here is the recipe as posted:

Two pound pork loin
One half cup balsamic vinegar
One half cup olive oil
two tablespoons steak seasoning rub.

Stir the steak seasoning into the vinegar and keep stirring until it's dissolved. Then mix in the oil. Put the loin into a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade mix over it. Let it marinade overnight and then put it in a pan. Put the pan into a preheated 350 degree F oven until it reaches 145 F internally, about an hour. Baste often. Let sit ten minutes before slicing.

This recipe is from someone named Melissa S. I do not know her nor anything about her. I will say that if this Melissa person is married her husband should be a happy man. If he ever treats her wrong he'd be dumb enough to pay Al Gore to teach him about climate. Just sayin'.

Anyhow, since I had no steak seasoning rub I simply took three tablespoons of garlic powder, some paprika, sage and thyme and some ground white pepper, regular pepper and a tad of salt. Never did hold with storebought seasoning rubs, not when I have spices aplenty in the cabinet.

Anyhow, I don't have to worry about lunch for a while, I'll have pork sammiches. I probably should have cut that thing in half before I put it in the freezer, a five pound loin is a lot of meat now that it's just us. Oh well, sammiches, pork with potatoes and applesauce, I'll make it go away. The dogs have volunteered to help if needed.

As anyone can see, I don't have much going on right now. More than anything, this is just to show that we're still alive.

Update 2/19/10: If I ever make this balsamic pork again it will be a smaller piece. It's good but then I thought about some hot pork sammiches. No gravy! Arrgh!

No comments: