Monday, February 01, 2010

The Dogs And Their Sweet Potato Orgy

I was over at my (electronic) ladyfriend Pamibe's blog and she had a recipe and link to a dog treat recipe blog a while back, the simplest recipe was for yam or sweet potato treats. Well, I like simple and sometimes I even understand simple.

The website is The Dog Treat Kitchen and is jam packed with dog treat recipes, ranging from dead simple to super-duper complicated. The dogs here will have to go without complicated.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with baker's parchment paper.

This one, though is really simple. Take a sweet potato or three and cut it into slices about a third of an inch thick. The recipe says to wash and dry it first but you don't even have to peel them. The recipe says don't cut the slices any thinner than a quarter inch but doesn't say what calamity will befall you if you do.

Here comes the fun part, put the sliced yams onto the cookie sheet and then, wait for it....

Put them in the preheated over. Leave them there for an hour and a half or ninety minutes in metric. I think that's metric. After the timer goes off, take the cookie sheets out of the oven and turn the slices over. Let them sit in the oven for another hour and a half.

Then put 'em on a wire rack and let them cool completely. And that's it. They say keep 'em in the fridge, they also says they'll keep for up to three weeks in the fridge or four months in the freezer. I cannot imagine my critters allowing them to get stale in the fridge.

The only downside to these recipes is that that one treat recipe, baked dry yam slices took seven pages to print. I think the site is written with people who have government computers and so don't care. the rest of us can do it the old fashioned way and just write it down.

Oh, and my dogs loved loved loved them.

My next try will be the oatmeal-peanut butter dog cookies.

No comments: