Thursday, January 14, 2010

Horror In Haiti

I do not have a whole lot to say about the ungodly horror in Haiti. Pretty much anybody writing about current events, except for Pat Robertson, will have better coverage than I do.

Still, there is one thing I've noticed. In all of the dozens and dozens of pictures I've seen of rescuers trying to dig folks out of the shattered concrete buildings I have seen no rebar. I'm seeing where there may be half a million dead. I wonder how many lives would have been saved by those simple, cheap steel reinforcing rods. I'm thinking probably 75% of those killed would be walking around, trying to help if all that concrete had the rebar in it.

And this is what is wrong with our foreign aid. We send money, which is stolen by the government types. We send weapons to the army, as if anyone would invade Haiti. What we don't send are what they really need. Building supplies. a few dozen plans for inexpensive, durable housing. A few less bureaucrats and a few more construction foremen. Someone who knows how to plant trees and other vegetation to prevent erosion, some folks who know how to rebuild the soil so people can plant crops.

By now the Lockheed Hercules planes are landing with water and our young men and women, the Navy is sending it's ships, we should have an Aircraft Carrier and a couple of ships from the Gater Navy with landing craft and helos, the Marines and Seabees will be there. And, of course, the American leftists will still be trying to tear down the military because they're all murdering warmongers.

Well, you don't need me to tell you to pray for the people of Haiti. The survivors will be a long time recovering from this, most will go to their graves with an empty spot in their hearts from dead friends and relatives. I must go pet a dog now so I don't sit here and cry.

No comments: