Friday, February 06, 2009

Pulled Pork And Other Adventures



;

I've been playing with a crock pot some lately and decided to try some pulled pork. So I sliced an onion up and put it in the bottom of the crock pot, rubbed liquid smoke all over a nice pork roast, made up some sweet BBQ sauce and poured it over everything, added a little water, turned on the crock pot and went about my business.

The next day I got out the two forks to pull the pork apart and discovered that I am a failure. I could not get the roast out of the crock pot, it just fell apart. Instead of pulling the pork I just stirred it around. Princess was in the back yard so Ming got the bone. Bingo doesn't like people food, what kind of a Pug is that?

Anyhow, it ain't pulled but it sure is tasty.

Linda Lou wanted me out from underfoot so Bingo and I went out wandering around today. I drove to Bass Pro Shops to check out some primers, they want five bucks a hundred. They are also out of their minds. I drove a little further, to Mesquite, TX to a place called Southwest Ammunition Supply. There I discovered some new deal of very limited numbers of primers being allowed in each truck shipment. Considering that I have never heard of huge holes in the freeways from ginormous primer explosions I am very suspicious. It looks like another end run around the Second Amendment. I managed to score a thousand Remington Large Pistol Primers but the clerk was telling me that they are having to ration rifle primers. They will only sell rifle primers one hundred at a time unless a customer is buying lots of bullets. If one buys five hundred bullets he can have five hundred primers. I reckon folks that cast their own bullets are going to be making lots of trips to the gun store. And the guys that shoot primer powered wax bullets are out of luck.

I shall look into this some more and see if I can get a handle on what's going on.

From there Bingo and I went to Pet Smart, I got him a blue bone shaped tag with his name and our address and phone number. Everybody loves Bingo. Then we went to a big box home improvement store and bought a new belt for the vacuume cleaner and a couple of wax toilet rings. I am just pan lubing my black powder bullets and I was driving myself crazy doing it. I'd put the bullets in the lube, melt it and then have to cut each bullet out with a homemade "cookie cutter", made out of a .45-70 case. If I just pulled them out

Then a pal up in Wisconsin told me about adding a wax toilet ring to the lube, it makes the lube sticky. So I added about half a ring to the lube I already had in the pan and it works just like I was told.

After the home improvement store we stopped by Wal Mart and got a fifty pound bag of dog food, a script for Linda Lou, some bagels and cream cheese for breakfast. Then a quick stop at Sonic for Linda Lou's burger so she'd let me in the house and home we went.

No comments: