Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wore Plumb Out


I don't know persactly how today became Baking Day here at the Poorfarm, I thought it was supposed to be Flag Day. Still, Linda Lou was out of her cookies and I had a hankering for some yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I didn't dare make my cupcakes without I made Linda Lou's cookies, either, not if I wanted any of my cupcakes.

I was going to make the cupcakes before I went to bed but got too sleepy so, instead had to light the oven in the middle of the afternoon. I am not such a baker that I bake stuff from scratch, instead I use the good box mixes. I do make my "choclit frostin'" from scratch, using the recipe right off the Hershey's Cocoa box. When they say it's "Perfect Chocolate Frosting" they mean it. One box of cake mix makes 24 cupcakes, too many for just us two so I have a few to take to our neighbor who is still missing her husband.

From there it was time to make cookies, Gingerbread cookies out of the Betty Crocker pouches. Linda Lou likes these when she can't have her made from scratch oatmeal raisin cookies because, like the oatmeal raisin, they keep her regular. Once we passed our fifties, things like this increased in importance. Still, we need say no more about it.

This was the first time I ever tried sugaring the cookies according to the directions on this bag. I dropped each cookie out of this widget like a teeny-tiny ice cream scoop, they dropped down in balls and then I smushed each ball down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. I had no idea how well this would work.

As the reader can plainly see, Linda Lou is riding this broke leg thing as far as it will take her. When she is recovered I'm going to break something and make her handload my ammunition!

Then it was time to clean up the kitchen, I got half finished and then it was naptime. Bingo T. Pug helped with the nap. He's good at helping with naps.

No comments: