Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy Birthday, USA. Well, Sort Of.

Today is supposed to be Independence Day, for reasons that escape me. It was 233 years ago, July 2,1776 when the vote was taken. Twelve votes for Independence, one abstention. By rights we should have celebrated on the second. Oh well, I should be happy that they haven't pushed this off into the Monday Holiday thing.

It's just about the hottest day of the year, so far. The temp is supposed to be about 103 in the middle of the D/FW Metromess. We don't dare go anywhere we can't take the dogs when it's this hot, they simply can't stay outside all day in this heat.

I can hardly wait for the fireworks to start. CAP always goes into hysterics, Ming tries hard to scare them away with her furious barking. This will Bingo's first July Fourth with us, oops! The kid 'cross the road set off the first firecrackers. Bingo and Ming the Merciless both went crazy.

Our celebration will be very low key. We are just going to watch Yankee Doodle Dandy on the Teevee. One day a year I'm a Yankee. I'm not the world's greatest fans of musicals but this is the one I watch every time I can. I may not have been born on the Fourth of July but, today, I am that Yankee Doodle Boy.

I have more to talk about but, later. For now, Happy Independence Day. Pray that there is more ruin a Nation can handle than one Administration can deliver.

No comments: