Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bones and Birdseed.






So there isn't much going on down here. I'm mainly hoping that by the time these Washington idiots are done I'm not trying to eat birdseed and kibble and can still afford the odd bone for the dogs.

I think watching what these clowns are doing in Washington would be easier to take if I could drink. Or maybe strong drugs. Or drink and strong drugs.

Oddly, the birds watch me, from the other trees, as I fill the bird feeders. Yet every time I step out there is a mad scramble to get away. The birds aren't much brighter than the crowd running Washington. The difference is, Washington is doing it's best to make sure that we can't feed them.

The dogs, of course, do not run away from bones. The only drawback is that instead of each dog eating the bone I give them, they go around trying to steal each other's bone. It wasn't too many months ago when Ming would bully C.A.P off her bone, those days are over. Bingo is still learning the rules of protecting a bone.


In other news I got a little piece of the stimulus package:
For necessary and unnecessary expenses related to the Wireless and Broadband Deployment Grant Programs established by section 6002 of division B of this Act, $2,825,000,000, of which $1,000,000,000 shall be for Wireless Deployment Grants and $1,825,000,000 shall be for Broadband Deployment Grants: Provided, That an additional $54,000,000,000.00 shall be paid directly to Peter Davis in the form of subsidized loans that do not require repayment. Provided Further, That the funds be used by Peter Davis to Building a black powder buckshot loading company. or for whatever. Provided Even Further, That Peter Davis will receive free Stewart-Hass Racing tickets for life. Provided Even Further Still, That Peter Davis shall be treated as a cabinet-level appointment for the purpose of income tax reporting, and therefore no taxes shall be paid on any of the aformentioned benefits. And one more thing: Jack Murtha is hereby expelled from Congress, effective immediately upon enactment.

So, I dunno what I'll do with all that money, it's too bad I couldn't really slip that into the bill. Considering that nobody really read the whole thing, it COULD be in there.

I've loaded some black powder buckshot shells in Mag Tech all brass cases. The shotgun is one of the only firearms where we don't lose velocity and powder with BP. The reason is simple enough, the allowable pressures in a shotgun can be easily reached with black powder. And the birdshot or buckshot is shaped to where it goes subsonic almost instantly so there is no real reason to try to up the velocity. Plus, with BP a feller could hide in the smoke after the first couple-three rounds. I have loaded 12 double aught buckshot pellets in the brass case. The only disadvantage, aside from the increased cost, is that the weight of the powder charge adds to the recoil.

I just got the February edition of Handloader Magazine. It had a long article on the new Federal .327 Magnum. This new cartridge is in a Ruger SP101 revolver. I have one of those in .357 Mag. Since they seem to have quit making the Remington Medium Velocity .357 round I've had to stoke my SP101 with either handloads or Plus P .38s. I used to be pretty tough but I never could managed full bore .357s in that light little gun. Now this new cartridge can spit out a 115 grain Speer Gold Dot hollowpoint out the three inch barrel at over 1300 fps. And the little SP101 holds six shots, instead of five as does my .357. So, when I get my 54 Billion I'll get a new shootin' iron.

No comments: