Thursday, November 29, 2007

Behold! The Power Of The Cookies

I've blogged before about Linda Lou's oatmeal raisin cookies. They are her Grandma Hagen's recipe and they are a hit everywhere they go. I sometimes take a bag of them as a reward for those who do me favors. Like my gunsmith. My '92 Winchester clone is very difficult to detail strip and get it back together and I like to shoot black powder cartridges in it. So, a couple times a year I have to detail strip it and clean the black powder residue off the small parts and out of the nooks and crannies. Well, a dozen oatmeal raisin cookies gets me a spot to strip it down, clean it up and, when needed, help getting it back together. Price ten minutes of a professional gunsmith's time and see what a bargain those cookies bring me.

Well, I took a baker's dozen of those cookies with me to my Cardiologist's offices yesterday, I figure anybody keeping me alive deserves a few cookies.

Every month my insurance company sends me a statement about how much I pay and how much they pay for my medications. Since I am on social security disability, the government pays for my premiums. I am always careful to thank the taxpayers in the store when I pick up my meds. Well, anyhow after the Doc got his bag of cookies (enough to share with the staff) he had his nurses dig around and fill a bag with physician's samples of over two months of one expesive scrip and three months of another.

This is some five hundred dollars worth of pills. Of course my out of pocket cost is five dollars and thirty-five cents per month per scrip, so I guess the taxpayers should send me a card or something. Or not. The reality is that a bag of cookies is a nice surprise for those who do good things for us and sometimes the reward is great.

No comments: