Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Politics? No, Bandannas.

 I have had a bazillion political posts in my head since I last posted anything, each one half written before the next outrage hit. The main thing political is how we've become a pack, not a herd. Every time the left tries something and how desperate they seemto be. The actions against and for Chic-Fil-A, for instance. The Mitt didn't pay taxes and Mitt murdered my wife (who never had insurance under the company that was bought and closed down after Mitt had left Bain, and oh, by the way Bain was led then by an Obama bundler).

 All I really know about this year's race is that Bobo the Simpleminded could run the country better than this bunch of knaves and thieves. Whether is that clown Vice President Joe Biteme saying that Republicans want to put blacks in chains (anyone seen the black unemployment numbers lately") or King O-Bow-to -me claiming that Republicans want to deny money to "renewable energy" (Solyndra?) they are simply pitiful. And Americans have seen through them.O-bow-me will be lucky to win seven of the fifty-seven states.

 The Executive Branch of the Government of the United States of America has been reduced to a bunch of grubby bagmen and ward heelers. The only real question is if they will avoid tar and feathers.

 I read a blog post somewhere yesterday of some Japanese outfit making an electronic toilet paper dispenser and in the comments were a bunch of "what if there was a power failure while one was on the throne?" My answer is the bandanna, I never leave the house without at least two.

 And then, today we had a pair of doctor's appointments, me to have some stitches removed from the latest little skin cancer they find whenever they have a boat payment due, Linda Lou for a cortisone shots in the knee they'll rebuild next year. Well, my stitches came out no problem and I went back to pick up Linda Lou . She came out and we were walking down the hall when I noticed she had a trickle of blood coming out from under her band aid and running down her leg. A quick stop at the water fountain and the dampened bandanna solved the unsightly problem.

 Few people carry this essential tool anymore and they really should. Leave your car in a big parking lot? A bright bandanna tied to the radio antenna saves a big hassle. They are a Godsend at a wedding or funeral. I've passed them out in three directions. (Always double up for those events.)

 Separated in a crowd of some kind? A Bright red or yellow bandanna waved overhead can save a ton of frustration, even in the age of cell phones. A baby or small child running at either end? You guessed it. An emergency bandage or tourniquet? Grab a coffeepot off the campfire? Need just a little more force opening a jar? Some place between Midland and El Paso and the oil or temp light comes on?

 Power go out but you still have gas or a camp stove? Tie the right amount of coffee (or tea) into a bandanna, toss it in a pot of water and. viola! Need to wipe up a little spill somewhere that you never thought you'd see except through the service entrance? Need to sit on a bench you're unsure of? Ever had to deal with a large dead critter (or person) after it got really ripe? A little bit of gas on a bandanna  tied around one's mouth and nose prevents a big problem. This works for almost any foul smell so in case you must go downwind of an OWS crowd...

 Tie one around your neck in hot weather, not only will it keep your shirt just a tad drier and the sweat drying on the bandanna helps cool you off.

 At the rifle range in hot weather? Swab the outside of the barrel with a wet bandanna or, even better, a bunch of ice in the rag.

 City people mostly carry handkerchiefs or tissues.  Either will work for some little things. I could've wiped the blood off Linda Lou's leg with a handkerchief and then never get the bloodstain out. On that bandanna no one will ever notice. And they're cheap enough that I can give one away when needed, even to a total stranger (and I have, many times) and I never feel the pinch.

 As I say, I always carry two except when I carry more. One is always old and very soft for things like cleaning eyeglasses and such, one is always new enough to be real bright. In over fifty years of carrying them I'm still finding new uses.

5 comments:

pamibe said...

Up with the bandanna! Seems to solve all our problems except the idiots in office.

Oh, well. How much can we ask from a bit of cloth, anyway?

I'm going to have to try the bandanna on Liz's antenna...

Harvey said...

This is obviously the American version of Don't Panic and Carry a Towel:

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Towel

Jeff said...

Pamibe, they can be tied around the mouth of an idiot in office and you would have to listen to it any more. Or they could be tied a bit lower and more tightly to really solve the problem. Not that I'm advocating violence. Well, not too much.

Thanks to Harvey for the link to here from imao.us

Erinyes said...

Since moving to Key West and working outside I have become a big fan of bandanas...

Peter said...

I didn't mention that you can fill a bandanna with some birdshot or a handful of nuts and bolts, or pennies and have a makeshift blackjack. Although a boot sock works better but, still.